Sunday, November 21, 2010

I am a Relief Society teacher (women's organization) in my ward. I am really grateful for this calling. I am teaching today about the doctrine of baptism. This is not a doctrine which I have thought about in much depth recently. I don't even think before today I really had a spiritual witness of the covenants that I made the day that I was baptized. I am so grateful for the Spirit. That it teaches line upon line and precept upon precept. I am grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. I know that He stands at it's head. I am grateful for the Priesthood which my father holds. With the authority, which traces directly back to Jesus Christ, that it gives him he was able to baptize me in the name of Jesus Christ. I didn't fully understand the covenants that I was making that day. I'm not sure that I still fully understand them. But I was struck today as I prepared for this lesson by the beauty of the pure doctrine of Christ. I love the Book of Mormon scripture Mosiah 5:8-9:

"And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives. And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ."

When I read this I feel like the people of Alma who clapped their hands for joy at the thought of taking upon them the name of Christ. It also reminds me of a scripture a little later on in the book of Mosiah. Mosiah 26:18 reads, "Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine." How blessed I am to know have taken on the name of Jesus Christ. I hope that I can be true the the name by which I am called. I am so grateful that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in it's fullness. I know that it is true. Like most things which are true, it is simple and beautiful. How grateful I am for it.

2 comments:

Jake said...

hope your lesson went great!

Kristen said...

Thanks Jake. It did! Not because of me but it makes all the difference when the Spirit is there!

Post blind date

Post blind date