Thursday, November 4, 2010

What is a friend?

Over the past few weeks I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be a true friend. I have had several really good friends. I think that a true friend possesses the following attributes:

1. A true friend is true at all times. They do not gossip or share confidential information that you have disclosed to them. They love you and so they defend you if someone is speaking badly of you. If they make a mistake and disclose something that they shouldn't it is always well-intentioned, ie, they are trying to do something they think will help you.
2. They want to spend time with you. You enjoy spending time together. You laugh a lot but also have real, meaningful conversation when you're together. They return phone calls, text messages, emails, and IMs when they receive them. They also initiate these things. Communication is vital for friendship. It is the way that friends convey that they care about each other.
3. They make you want to be a better person. They build you and make you better for being in their presence. They believe that you are a better person than you think you are and thus, help you see your potential.
4. This is an attribute that I struggle with but is nonetheless an attribute of a true friend: You have an open relationship. When one of you is offended or frustrated with a situation you are able to discuss it with the other in a healthy manner. You can be direct with your friend and know that they will return the same courtesy to you.

Well, I'm in lab and I need to go finish my assay. But I've been blessed with some really amazing friends. And I love you guys. Thanks for being who you are. I hope that I, in turn, can be the kind of friend that you have been to me.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I hope I meet all our qualifications. If I were to hold the same criteria you would definitely fulfill all of them. Thanks for being a good friend.

Kristen said...

You do my friend. I have so many good friends! I'm not as good a friend as I should be. I guess we all fail sometimes. Me more than most :). I think that we should definitely hang out more friend!

Post blind date

Post blind date